As a rental property owner, you might believe that installing and maintaining a healthy lawn is a waste of time, effort and money. However, all rental and commercial properties can benefit from well-maintained lawns. If you aren’t convinced, here are ten reasons why installing and maintaining a healthy, green lawn at your investment property is a good idea.
- Improved aesthetics: A crisp, fresh green lawn looks fabulous and can be the envy of everyone in the neighbourhood. Surrounded by natural green lawns, your rental properties will look inviting to both potential renters and commercial tenants.
- Cost-effective: Since bare soil around buildings causes problems (exposed soil creates dust in dry weather and becomes muddy in the rain), a well-maintained lawn is a very cost-effective solution.
- Less rubbish: People seem less likely to drop their rubbish on well-maintained lawns than they do on pavements and roads. Obviously rubbish can be blown onto a front lawn, but in general, lawns always look tidier and cleaner than paths, tarmac or concrete surfaces.
- Erosion control: Large areas of eroded soil look unsightly around residential homes, but can be an environmental disaster when large areas around commercial properties are left bare. Soil runoff can pollute our waterways and leach all the goodness out of the soil.
- Better air quality: Turf takes carbon dioxide and other pollutants out of the air, replacing them with oxygen, just like trees. Tiny dust particles that float through the air are also captured by the grass blades, making the air cleaner and reducing the incidence of allergies.
- Improves soil health: Grass prevents the soil heating up on a hot summer’s day, as well as providing mulch that reduces the evaporation of water from the soil.
- Encourages outdoor activities: A lovely healthy lawn encourages everyone to go outside and get active! Whether that’s sitting reading a book, kicking a ball around with the kids or having a BBQ with family and friends.
- Prevents injuries: Any parent will tell you that a thick healthy lawn helps to prevent the inevitable injuries suffered by young children outside. That’s because lawns cushion a child’s fall, reducing their impact on the ground and the injuries they sustain. If your property has a maintained lawn, it will tick more boxes for long-term, consistent tenants.
- Noise reduction: Trees and lawns can help dampen noise around residential and commercial buildings. As a living part of the landscape, they reduce the volume and echoes that are often created by traffic in urban areas.
- Cooler environment: Natural lawns are capable of reducing the local surface temperatures through cooling evaporation. These surface temperatures can be up to 5℃-6℃ cooler than bare concrete or tarmac, helping to reduce the A/C requirements of surrounding buildings.
As a turf specialist, Turfman provides a range of turf services for homeowners, landlords, and commercial businesses in Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and parts of the Gold Coast. With more than 13 years’ experience in landscaping, site preparation, and laying lawn turf, your project is in good hands with Turfman. Contact us for more information on the turf varieties and services our team provides!